Sunday, May 4, 2014

Poem: Chillin' in the Afternoon (in California)





Chillin’ in the afternoon
I lean back and
Forget the clock’s rhythmic ticking,

Ticking away the minutes
And hours of lonely
Vigils on a lover’s island outpost.

The swift summer breeze
Caresses my hair and
Protests the stillness of palm leaves,

Rouses wind chimes from sleep
And sings in the
Hollow of my snow-cold bottle.

Losing myself in history books
And Cuban cigars
Whose smoke dances is my delight.

I pay no mind to outside worries
While the weather’s mild
In my Californio tropical paradise.

They say summer don’t last forever,
But neither do draughts,
And each passing hour of the clock

I ignore is one moment closer
To action,
Charging bulls,
Ringing bells,
Salty tears,
Laughter and wine,

And then my heavy heart
Is free to fly
In search of El Dorado.




* * *


Tropical island graphic from the game 0 A.D. and used via CC BY-SA 3.0 license. San Juan Capistrano image by "Lordkinbote" and used via CC BY-SA 2.0 license. Both images obtained from Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment